Builders, remodelers and their clients learn about product recalls when federal officials or the producers themselves determine there may be a health or safety issue associated with it.
NAHB follows notices of product recalls and when that product is associated with the construction or renovation of a home, it is listed here with a link to the Web pages that explain whether the end user should return the product for repair or seek another solution.
Bosch, Gaggenau, Kenmore Elite and Thermador Dishwashers
- BSH Home Appliances has recalled certain dishwashers due to fire hazards. The recall concerns power cords supplied with certain models manufactured from January 2008 through December 2013. The recall is in conjunction with Canada, as some products were sold in that country.
Philips Halogen Bulbs
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a recall for Philips Halogen Bulbs. The recall notes that the bulb lens can shatter in the lamp or it can fall and shatter, posing a laceration and burn hazard.
Lota Touchless Kitchen Faucets
- For these faucets sold exclusively at Home Depot, at issue is the battery box that is used to power the faucet’s sensor. It can short circuit, overheat and/or melt, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.
Bosch Security System Wireless Smoke Alarms
- Bosch reported that two alarms failed to sound during installation testing and the company reports that it has contacted dealers and installers directly.
Technical Consumer Product Downlights
- Technical Consumer Products reported that the internal wiring in LED downlights can contact the product’s metal trim, posing a shock hazard to consumers. The recall is in conjunction with one in Canada, as some products were sold there.
Trane and American Standard Accessory Heaters
- The recall involves heaters installed in TAM7 and TAM8 air handlers and indicates that heaters installed with reverse polarity on one of the breakers can cause the product to overheat, posing a fire hazard.
Brewmaster Fans Recalled
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a recall for Brewmaster Ceiling Fans because a fault in the hub holding the fan blades may cause the unit to fall, posing a risk to anyone nearby.
Westinghouse Glass Shade Holders Recalled
- Westinghouse Lighting has recalled the glass shade holders due to risk of electrical shock. The pull chain on the model 70242 glass shade holder is incorrectly wired, posing a shock hazard to the consumer.
Most consumer product recalls are listed on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website and at consumersafety.org, while the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration lists recalls and safety information on vehicles and equipment. Another helpful resource: Visit www.recalls.gov for a complete list of current recalls in non-construction related areas, including food and medicine.